Friday, March 25, 2011

Mountain Surprise

They said it couldn’t be done. And so far they’d been right. Search parties were sent out for the first two teams attempting to do it. No luck--for the teams or the search parties.
That really didn’t bother me much. I loved the challenge. What bothered me was being away from my family for so long. It was gonna take weeks to ascend that rocky face. The only company I’d have would be Harry. Harry was my best friend. I was there for him when Linda died. And now, he’d be there for me when I needed him most.
After all the interviews and cameras and doctors touching here and probing there, we set out for the top of Mount Winkbackatcha. The first ten thousand feet were easy. The second, not so much. Around twenty-five is when I lost Harry.
I only heard him leave the world. Kinda glad now. I’d hate having a visual memory like that. The terrifying scream trailing down and away was bad enough.
Rest in peace, Harry, my friend.
I was by myself. Me and the snow-covered rocks. The air so thin, I thought I would give up with each step. But I kept going. For Harry. For my family. For me.
When I pulled myself over the last ledge, nothing happened. No band playing. No photos. No interviews. Just me and the thin air on top of Mount Winkbackatcha. In my head, I had imagined a larger feeling, having just completed what no other man on Earth could do. Nothing.
I began to look around, through the clouded air for a place to camp. I nestled in on top of that glorious peak just before nightfall on the nineteenth day. I was so tired, I can’t remember setting up camp. But, I will never forget what happened next.
Middle of the night on top of a mountain is very quiet except for the wind. So when I heard the ticking, I immediately jumped to my feet. The dark was a thick as black fabric. I couldn’t see anything, but I could hear it. I’d jerk my head looking for where it was coming from and then it would be behind me. I could hear it. Clipping, ticking sounds. I wanted Harry. But not so much that I wanted his ghost up there on that mountain scaring me silly.
“Who’s there?”
Silence answered me. I figured my imagination and lack of oxygen was getting to me. Then I heard it again.
Clip.
Clip, clip.
Tick.
What in the...
That’s when I saw it. Where the noise was coming from. I could not believe how my eyes deceived me. Is that...? No, It couldn’t be. I’m going crazy.
“You are not crazy, my son,” said the most beautiful voice I’d ever heard.
“Are you...,” I said, hoping I was crazy.
“Yes. I am the Way and the Light. I am Love and Life. I am...”
“God,” I said.
I couldn’t believe I was talking to God. Then I saw Him bend His head down. I jerked mine down as well assuming that is what you do when God is bowing His head.
Then the ticking started again. No praying, just clip, clip, tick, clip.
I opened one eye to see what He was doing.
Oh my, is He doing what I think He’s doing? Is He.... He IS!!!
God was clipping His toenails in my presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment