Saturday, April 16, 2011

Sail Away

Well, we've started seeing lots of king mackerel, sharks, and other species including sailfish.  Take a look at the picture below.  I haven't had the opportunity to meet the fisherman so I don't know his name.  Sorry.

This sailfish seemed to have been attacked by a large predator.  It was also sick and very slim for a sailfish this large.  I heard that it was approximately 7-feet long and only weighed around 35lbs.

It was caught in the skinny water (shallow water) on Navarre Beach at the pier.  A day later we saw a healthy happy one swimming near enough to the end of the pier that many of us got a couple of casts at it.  No bites though.  Maybe next time.

Photo courtesy of Navarre Beach Pier at http://www.fishnavarre.com/.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This morning (04/16/2011), the wind almost kept me from staying more than 15 minutes.  As usual, I made one more cast and BAM!  Spanish mackerel.  I fought him a few moments and my line went slack.  Crap, I thought.  I slowly retrieved my line and BAM AGAIN!  This time I set the hook hard.  Suddenly my line went slack again.  Really!?!  I felt something like my lure was fouled up, just not pulling through the water right.  As I reeled in, I saw that I indeed had a Spanish mackerel, or part of one.  It would have went 14-16 inches, but something big came along and bit him off, cleanly I might add, right behind the gills.  All I pulled up was his head.  Can you belee dat?!

I cast a few more times and BAM-BIGGITY-BAM-BAM!!  The biggest fish I had ever hooked so far.

I swear to God on the Holy Bible.

I fought whatever it was for a good 15 minutes or so.  Two of us saw the fish and could not tell if it was a small king or a humongous Spanish.  Either way, ten pound line and a six foot Ugly Stik was no match.  The fish came to the surface a few times, caught a glimpse of the big ugly mug at the other end of the line (me) and hauled ass each time.  The last time, it darted around a pylon and SNAP!  Line broke, Ugly Stik still intact (you can't break them things).

Yes sir-ree, Bob.  That is my "big-fish-that-got-away" story this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment